Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Reader Profile Data - RPI

The previous Manaiakalani Reading Programme Intensive (RPI) session left us with the task of implementing the key practices covered in the professional learning.  This included completing and analysing the results of a class reading survey, and introducing "ground rules for talk" with one of our reading groups.


While introducing the ground rules, I was observed and recorded by my RPI mentor Robyn. Having a video of my session means I am able to look back and assess the areas I need to improve on, as well as areas of strength I can draw from - a major benefit of having 'rewindable' learning. I feel that the lesson was effective in that the learners received, understood and applied the ground rules quite well considering it was our first 'go' at it. The students were rather familiar with extended discussion from their previous years of schooling at PBS - so the conversation was well managed and connected by the students. I've linked the lesson I went through with them here. Below you will find the results and analysis of my class' survey.

My co-teacher Daf and I are both apart of the RPI cohort so we decided to carry out the survey as a whole class. We have a total of 56 students.  51 students took part in our survey. We adapted the template as we have a composite class of year 4, 5 and 6 students. Looking at the data you can see we are predominantly a year 5 class. Our year 4 students are brand new to using chromebooks, whereas our year 5 students have mixed levels of ability in using a chromebook for their learning. I wondered if this would have any affect on the students' perception/experience of reading. Below the slides are some aspects of the data that I found particular interesting or meaningful for my professional learning.
I was glad to see that majority of the students (72.5%) enjoy reading at school. It was interesting to see the difference between these results, and the results of students who said they enjoyed reading books in their own time - where the group who answered "very like me" were only 33.3% of the class. There was a large amount of learners (31.4%) who did not enjoy reading at all in their own time. This is going to be a large focus for this year to see if these results change by the end of the year. I wonder : 
  • What are the differences between the students who enjoy reading at school, and the students who enjoy reading at home?
  • How might enjoyment of reading books at home affect enjoyment of reading at school?
  • What practical things can I implement in my reading sessions, to see a shift in the efficacy results by the end of the year?

As a beginning teacher, I was most looking forward to seeing the results of the efficacy prompts the students were given.  Our data reflects that 74% of our students believe their teachers think they are good at reading.  Majority of the students believe this, while some (26%) do not.  I believe the results from this prompt, is something I definitely have the capacity to shift - as the prompt stems mostly out of a positive teacher - learner relationship.


We were glad to see a large proportion of students in our class have a high self efficacy (80.4%) compared to the smaller group of students (19.6%) who have a lower self efficacy.
Our data also shows that just over half (28) of the 51 learners who took the survey think that reading books in their own time can help them.  There are 7 (13.7%) of the group who do not think reading books can help at all.  I am keen to see how the responses to this prompt may change overtime.  I wonder : 
  • How can I use the students' belief that reading can help them to develop their own self concept?
  • How important is self-concept to a learner's progress in reading?
Overall, collecting the data has given me a great overview of what my learners currently believe about themselves, and their relationship with reading. I look forward to implementing what I learn from the remaining RPI sessions with my learners.  I hope that my professional learning will allow me to create opportunities for accelerated and meaningful learning in my classroom this year.

1 comment:

  1. Kia Ora Toreka
    This is such an exciting journey to be on with you this year! Your lesson was fantastic and as we discussed having the rewindable resource allows you to see the whole picture. This is something you can do in class as well as it would be a huge asset to have when reflecting on what you did well and what you need to strengthen. Your RFE survey will give you a wealth of information to draw from. Have you thought about how you might explore how important is self-concept to a learner's progress in reading?

    I'm looking forward to watching RFE grow in LS1 this year. I am also very sure that you will definitely create many opportunities for accelerated and meaningful learning through your PLD and teaching journey this year.
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete

Teacher Only Day - Create Workshop

I recently had the opportunity to run a workshop during our Tamaki Cluster - Manaiakalani Teacher-Only Day.  I chose to show how I've us...